Counseling for Seniors: The Forgotten Generation
Depression, anxiety, stress, grief, loss, loneliness, feelings of helplessness and uselessness and coping with medical illnesses are only some of the issues that affect seniors.
- At least 6.5 million Americans over the age of 65 suffer from symptoms of depression
- Older Americans have an increased risk of depression when other illnesses limit their functioning.
- Depression in not a normal part of the aging process
- Depression in older adults can increase the risk for medical illnesses and cognitive decline
- Older Americans will not likely seek out treatment for depression
- Depression is the most significant risk factor for suicide attempts among the elderly
Counseling can make the difference between life and premature death. I understand the specific needs of a more sedentary senior population and am willing to provide psychotherapy in your or your loved one's home, if coming to my office proves to be too much of a challenge.